Monday 26 August 2013

Return of the happy campers Part 2

A week ago another bout of good weather was forecast and I had a one week gap between medical appointments, so we packed the tent and the bikes and off we went.

This time we went to Rutland, England's smallest county (18 miles long and 17 miles wide at its greatest extent with the latin motto of Multum in Parvo (much in little)).  We stayed at a lovely campsite in the grounds of an Victorian mansion, Ranksborough Hall, and went out each day cycling and visiting historic houses.

I am pleased to say my stamina has greatly improved since the previous camping trip a few weeks ago. The latter was less than a fortnight after the end of 5 weeks of radiotherapy, and I was still tired and washed out.  Then I could only manage around 10-15 miles a day before I ran out of energy.  This time I could happily cycle 25 miles a day and I know it won't be long before I'm back to cycling more respectable distances (typically 30 to 40 miles or up to 60 miles for a bike "event" such as the London to Cambridge or London to Southend).

On one ride we found an unusual (railway) level crossing on a very minor road which I may have inadvertently broken by pushing the wrong button.  The road was closed later that day  - while repairs were carried out?  I may include more details and a photo on this in a future post.

We did the circuit of Rutland Water and another day cycled out to Newton's birthplace (Woolsthorpe Manor) and yes, the original apple tree is still there.  We visited Kirby Hall and shared our lunch with some tame peacocks (all called Edmund according to the English Heritage staff).  And spent a great day at Burghley with its (water) garden of surprises and the best sculpture garden I've ever seen.

Photos of the highlights
                                         Yes, this is really Newton's apple tree

                                                    Garden of surprises at Burghley


                                          A couple of the sculptures at Burghley

                                  Signal Box at Oakham.  A working Grade II listed building

                                       
                                          Edmund(s) at Kirby Hall



                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment