Wednesday 19 June 2013

Mercury, Yggdrasil and blue plaques

Finished my daily visit to Mecury early, so there was plenty of time to continue my exploration of city churches.

I managed to tick the following churches/towers off my list:

St Vedast alias Foster (open)
St Augustine Watling St (appears permanently closed, just a church tower)
St Andrew by the Wardrobe (closed when I visited - a name to conjure with!)
St Benet Welsh church (closed when I visited)
St Mary Somerset (appears permanently closed, just a church tower)
St Nicholas Cole Abbey (closed when I visited)
St James Garlickhythe (open)
St Michael Pasternoster Royal (closed when I visited)
St Stephen Walbrook (closed when I visited)

 Near St Andrew by the Wardrobe - I love that name - was a sign giving directions to Wardrobe Place, which I couldn't help following.  In doing so I also found "The Site of the Kings Wardrobe.  Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666" - a blue plaque marks the spot. 

Not far away is the site of the Great Dominican Friary at Blackfriars (dissolved in 1538).  Part of this is an old burial ground, now a small garden square completely enclosed by tall buildings.  In its centre is a tall, tall tree, which I've decided must represent Yggdrasil (the tree of life in Norse mythology).  It is a lovely quiet meditative place. 

Nearby is St Annes, Vestry Hall, home of the "friends of friendless churches".

Other blue plaques encountered on my travels include:  "Site of St Thomas the Apostle Church Destroyed in the Great Fire", the site of "The House of Richard Whittington" 1423.

I ended up at Bank at the height of rush hour, so I found a quiet spot and read my book for half an hour until I could travel home off-peak in a less crowded tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment