Monday 15 July 2013

Discovering quotes in odd places

What are your favourite quotes?

Here are a couple I found a long time ago and never forgot. 

Love life.  Be grateful to it always.  And show your gratitude by not shying away from its challenges. Always try to live a little bit beyond your capabilities.  And you will discover they are greater than you ever dreamed.

I came across it in an article about the value of "boldness" in an old Readers Digest.  Remember them from dentist's waiting rooms?  Apparently the original source is an article by Arthur Gordon in different magazine.

"And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: “Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”
So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night."

I first heard this in an episode of Family at War.  George VI quoted it in his 1939 Christmas Broadcast - in real life as well  as in the series.  It comes from a poem by Minnie Haskins.


No comments:

Post a Comment